Fig 5.12: Introduction to pollution
Fig 5.13: Pollution management strategies
- Explain why stage 1 is the best option for dealing with polluting activities?
- What are the limitations of altering human activity?
- How would an ecocentrist approach pollution management?
- How would a technocentrist approach pollution management?
Fig 1.54: Plastic Bag tax
Single use plastic bag charge
- Use this Guardian article to describe how successful the charge has been in the UK (absolute numbers of bags and the %).
- What limitations are there with this approach to managing pollution?
- Cigarettes cause a lot environmental pollution - why do so many people still throw them on the ground or the beach?.
- Why is it hard to change people's behaviours?
Fig 1.56: Volkswagen Diesel Pollution
Volkswagen Cheats emissions tests
- Use this CarandDriver article and video 1.54 to answer the following:
- What have Volkswagen done? How is it causing pollution?
- Read the What’s going to happen to Volkswagen? section (near the bottom of the article)
- What is the punishment being handed to VW?
- What stage of the pollution management diagram does this fit in?
Fig 1.58: BBC; Great American Oil Spill
BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill
- Describe the pollution event that occurred.
- How has the pollution event been managed?
- Have BP been held accountable/punished? How?
- Which stage of the pollution management diagram does this fit into?